Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thar she Blew.... !

We talked over a strange collection of sea-faring dishes, and I'd like to hear anyone else's thoughts.

My conclusion was
  • it's a great big strange book,
  • it suffers from Citizen Kane syndrome (it's the GREATEST EVER! You MUST read it!) and there's always a problem living up to that,
  • it has really obvious flaws (the ending isn't exactly a surprise, and Ishmael doesn't actually DO very much)
  • but it does have large parts that are actually enjoyable to read.
The Wordsworth Classic edition I borrowed had a really interesting introduction, which included lots of nuggets. For instance, though this is an American book, it was a flop on publication and we wouldn't be reading it now, if it hadn't been championed by the late-19th century workers' education movement in Britain. They were inspired by its emphasis on the details of working class life and productivity, and also it's celebration of reading and knowledge.

I also got a distinct impression that it really makes even more sense (?) if you read Rabelais - I know nothing of this Rabelais, but if I remember him in six or seven months, expect to see him on a short list.

I enjoyed the 1956 Gergory Peck movie, which had a good go at trying to turn it into a story - and featured classic work by Orson Welles, Bernard Miles and Sir Lancelot Spratt / Lord Scrumptious (James Robertson Justice). Ishmael is played by Commander Nelson of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea fame, and Queequeg by the not-remotely Polynesian Friedrich von Lederhosen. Oh, and there's a fab fibreglass whale and a balsawood boat, apparently in the plughole of a large bath!

( IMDB tells me there's a superior 1978 version with Jack Aranson playing every single part, and another one with Patrick Stewart as Ahab. And a 1930 version, where Ahab kills the whale, goes home, and gets the girl! )

NEXT TIME

The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder

It's a short book, and a children's book, so that's our idea of relief after Moby Dick. This one is written by the guy who went on to write the philosophical children's book Sophie's World, and comes recommended by Angus' girls.

We pencilled in to meet on 18th December, unless anyone said they'd be busy then. I reckon we might be more sensible meeting early in January, if that means there more of a chance of Mark and others.

As for the venue, the blog seems to suggest that Craig's is the place we haven't been to for longest...

No comments: